One of our go to desserts has to be this easy skillet chocolate chip cookie- we love that we can stick it in the oven right at dinner time and have a perfect dessert just as we clear the table!
As Aren has gotten older, it’s become clear to me that I’ve got to work on my dessert repertoire. The kid loves chocolate- and I’d much rather make him dessert myself than stick to processed cookies from the store.
I’ve always loved the idea of a skillet cookie- it just seemed so easy and who doesn’t want a crispy crust with a gooey center!? It’s literally the best of both worlds.
After quite a few rounds of attempting to make the perfect one, I settled on this one.
It’s fairly straightforward just like a regular cookie recipe- you just need to be patient as it bakes in the oven! Ps I love using my Lodge Cast Iron Skillet to make my cookies- the crust gets so nice and crispy!
Take it out too early and it’s going to be too gooey and not cooked. Take it out too late and you risk the whole thing becoming hard. It’s a fine balance 😉 I prefer to err on the side of too gooey and that seems to work just fine.
Add some ice cream on top and you’ve got yourself the ultimate dessert!
Like I mentioned above, what I love most about this easy Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie is that you can prep everything beforehand, and right as you start dinner just plop it into the oven. Then as you begin to clean up after dinner, your dessert is ready! This is also a great idea for when you have guests over!
Read on for the recipe and happy eating!
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk flour, baking soda and flour together. Whisk in salt. In a separate large bowl, cream sugar and butter together, using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer. Add in vanilla and eggs. Continue mixing until incorporated.
- Slowly add in flour mixture into sugar mixture, in 3 or 4 increments. Mix until just combined. Add choclate and mix one final time.
- Pour into a greased oven safe skillet. Bake for 25 minutes or until set.
Looking for more cookie ideas?! Check out my mom’s favourite cookies here!