Our favourite soup that we’ve been indulging in this season, this healthy butternut squash is as simple as it is delicious.
By now you’ve probably caught on that we love butternut squash soup. We’ve made it a ton in the last few months. And I’m pretty sure we will still be making it till early spring! Even Shiraz is a huge fan and prefers this to any type of baby food we’ve given him so far!
It’s creamy without being heavy. It fills you up just the right amount. And it’s so easy to make.
I alternate between adding cream to this recipe. Truth is, you really don’t need it. It’s creamy enough on its own! But sometimes I add a touch in for a velvety finish. Alternatively, you could just add a few dollops of Greek yogurt to the top of your soup when serving- keeps it healthy and gives you a little extra something!
However you do it, you really can’t go wrong with this super simple recipe for healthy butternut squash soup.
I mean, the hardest part has got to be peeling and cutting the squash!
If you’re a butternut squash newbie, here’s some quick and easy tips for you on how to tackle that tough vegetable!
Read on and happy soup season!
Looking for more filling soup ideas? Try out favourite Chili recipe here for a heartier meal!
Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5-6 cups chicken broth I use low sodium
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- greek yogurt to top
- sunflower seeds to garnish
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add in onions and sauté until translucent. Add in garlic and thyme. Stir until aromatic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in all of chopped squash. Stir until coated with onion mixture. Pour in chicken broth and let summer, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and blend. I prefer an immersion blender for ease. Bring back to a low simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add in cream at this point if you wish.
- Garnish and top with yougurt, sunflower seeds or anything else you'd like!
Leave a Reply