One of my favourite cake recipes, courtesy of my Mom! Read on for this Strawberry Cake recipe- perfect for those end of the summer berries!!
Let’s be honest, I’m not planning on making a cake anytime soon. My days pretty much consist of cuddles, diaper changes and putting Aren down for naps. Any free time is spent showering, prepping dinner or checking emails. Definitely no time for baking a cake!
Lucky for me, my mom has been a frequent visitor to our house and brings along all the treats!
This last trip she brought with her the most delicious strawberry cake. It was so good she made it for us 3 times over- don’t worry it was because we had people over to see the baby, we definitely did not eat all three of them!
Since it’s getting a little tough to come up with the time to shoot new blog content, I asked her to step in a make the cake one more time!
The result?! A great recipe for you to enjoy and a little less work for this tired mama!
Scroll down for the recipe and stay tuned as she will be sharing some of her best fall desserts on the blog a little later on. We’ll be posting her cranberry bread, apple pie, and maybe one or two more sweets!
Mom's Strawberry Cake
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled
- 1 egg room temperature
- 6 tbsp butter room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup + 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and cover with parchment paper a 9 inch cake pan.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together butter and 1 cup sugar until well creamed. Add egg and mix again. Add yogurt and vanilla to the same bowl and mix once again.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add 1/3 to batter at a time, mixing well in between.
- Pour batter into cake pan, levelling off top.
- Halve strawberries and arrange on top of cake. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of sugar. Bake cake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve