A BBQ favourite, these honey soy chicken skewers are best marinated a day beforehand for a fast and delicious dinner!
This summer has definitely been the summer of stretching our creativity and coming up with new ideas that don’t involve fast food. While I still LOVE to cook, my energy levels are beyond low and I usually try to scrounge up all the leftovers in the fridge and freezer for dinner! 40 weeks pregnant is not a fun time to be cooking let me tell you!!
I find I’m gravitating more and more towards old favourites and just tweaking them a bit. I figure that’s kind of like an easy way to create a new dinner menu, right?!
These honey soy chicken skewers were from a previous summer of creative grilling and I decided to change them up just a bit for a 2018 version. Best of all? I don’t even think Ara realized 😉
I added a heavy dose of garlic this time around, and I feel like it’s made all the difference in the world. So word of advice, don’t forget the garlic!
I’d also suggest marinating it overnight. While you can do a quick 1 hour marinade, the flavours definitely are more pronounced with an overnight marinade!
Regardless, it’s a great and easy BBQ idea if you’re running out of steam like me. We love to eat them paired with this Barefoot Contessa salad or just on it’s own with some rice and broccoli. Read on for the details and Bon Appetit!
HONEY SOY CHICKEN SKEWERS
- 2 pounds chicken breast skinless
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 inch piece ginger grated
- Dice chicken breasts into 1 inch by 2 inch pieces, or any size appropriate for skewering.
- Meanwhile mix oil, garlic, honey, soy sauce and ginger well with a whisk until honey is incorporated. Divide sauce into two. Reserve one half until ready to serve chicken.
- Place chicken breasts in a ziplock back or tupperware for marinating. Pour remaining half of sauce directly on top. This will be your marinade sauce. Refrigerate overnight or at least for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium. Skewer chicken. Reserve leftover marinade sauce. Grill chicken 3-4 minutes per side. Once flipped over initially, quickly brush chicken with leftover marinade. Once both sides are cooked, do not use marinade sauce anymore.
- Serve with the reserved sauce and enjoy!