Another quick and easy 30 minute dinner filled with veggies, turkey and a whole lot of yummy pasta!
We love pasta dinners around here. If you’ve been following me for a while, you definitely are aware of that! From savoury mushroom to my favourite peanut sauce, I’ve got you guys covered!
Since we do try to limit our red meat consumption, turkey is often times a go to for pasta! And why not right? It’s easy to cook, tasty and a very good substitute for dishes that call for ground beef. I whole heartedly prefer it to ground chicken and we use it in everything- burgers, meatballs, and yes, pasta! Specifically, this Turkey Bolognese that we love!
I like to pair it with a ziti esque type of noodle- it’s the stuff Sunday dinners are made of!
Add whatever veggies you have lying around (zucchini, bell peppers and kale all make excellent options) and top with freshly torn mozzarella. It’s a great way to get a homemade meal on the table that still hits all those notes- filling, healthy and dare I say it again- quick. I like to dice the veggies very finely so they really become apart of the sauce. I imagine this trick will be quite handy when Aren gets a little older too!
With Aren around, I’m definitely leaning more and more on these simple dinner options to get us through the week. Stay tuned for way more 30 minute meals coming up on the new blog as well (ps we’re so close to launch date! I just can’t wait!)
Bon Appetit and happy meal planning friends!
Quick and Easy Turkey Bolognese
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian Herbs
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 4-5 kale leafs
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (you can also just use tomato sauce )
- 1/4 cup milk full fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp oil extra virgin
- 500 grams pasta penne, or other medium sized variety
- Wash kale leaves and zucchini. Roughly chop zucchini and set aside. Discard tough centre of kale and chop rest. Set aside.
- Add pasta of choice to a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until tender, according to directions.
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp oil. Add onions, stirring until softened, 4-5 minutes. Immediately add turkey and cook until fully cooked, 5-7 minutes. Add seasonings, garlic and zucchini. Stir well, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of its water. Return pasta to pot. Gently toss in butter.
- Add tomatoes to skillet. Mix and add milk. Keep stirring until well incorporated. At this point add in 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water. If mixture is still too thick, add remaining 1/4 cup. Add in kale leaves and cover pan, letting kale cook down 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Pour sauce over pasta. Add to serving dish and top with fresh mozzarella! Serve immediately and enjoy