One of my favourite entertaining posts, this Canada Day brunch was so fun to put together! While it was focused around Canada Day, I hope it brings you lots of inspiration for other parties and gatherings! HomeSense was my go to per usual for the best table accessories and decor. Read on as I’m sharing what you need to create a fun spread for yourself- as well as my tips and tricks for finding the best things at HomeSense! Read on for the details and pics!
I like to throw my summer parties in the daytime- either a brunch around 11 where people can linger till 3-4 or an earlier dinner with friends coming over around 5ish. Since everyone’s off on Canada Day anyways, what better way to celebrate than with a Canada Day inspired Brunch?
The first step is to create a general theme- while Canada 150 reigned supreme for this set up, I wanted to infuse my own style and aesthetic into it. A little bit of pink goes along way in creating a feminine and fresh tablescape! Using a solid pink tablecloth gave me that pop of pink I love and let everything else stand out!
Then comes the actual set up, and that’s where HomeSense comes in! I found the cutest plaid plates that just screamed Canadian BBQ. They’re also that great melamine material which makes them perfect for entertaining-read, they don’t break!
I sourced so many great white serving pieces from HomeSense. The footed bowl is my absolute favourite! I also scoop up any cute cake stands that I see whenever I’m there! They’re a great source for smaller 4-6 inch cake stands that you might not find elsewhere.
Looking for food suggestions? Here are some great ideas to have at your Canada Day party:
- Peameal bacon sandwiches in mini croissants ( peameal is hard to come by in Montreal so I just used bacon that I had cooked in maple syrup! Delicious! )
- Mini poutines
- Smoked salmon platter
- Montreal style bagels
- Maple flavoured anything!
- Butter tartes
- Smoked Meat Sandwiches
I also love the idea of using a packaged sauce or seasoning from a renowned local chef- here in Montreal for example I’d use something from Joe Beef owner David McMillan.
Since it is Canada 150 after all, I made sure to incorporate some fun Canadian elements. The shot glasses pictured below were the cutest- HomeSense tip for you all: all the cute extra details can be found in the area right before the cash registers! That’s where I scooped up these shots glasses and where I always get my paper straws and party decor. Including those Brunch napkins that I know you want 🙂 I also spray painted a white lantern pink- I made sure to tape up the glass portion that has the maple leaf, and then just sprayed away. This is a great and easy way to ensure your tablescape coordinates with your theme!
Lastly, you can’t forget dessert and cocktails! I enlisted the help of Felicia of Sweet Savour by Felicia and Joy of Imagine Joy for the dreamiest desserts and cake toppers! With my HomeSense cake stands, the desserts looked so perfect!
All in all, it was the perfect mix of Canada Day, pink and a whole lot of fun!
My tips for finding the perfect party essentials at HomeSense?
- Frequent their stores often as they get multiple shipments a week
- Make sure to check out the racks near the cash registers for paper goods and fun knick knacks.
- Check out the book/agenda row of your local HomeSense- usually a lot of the paper plates and napkins are there!
- Think outside the box! My poutines containers actually belong in the dish holding the donuts! And the red dishes holding the fruit are mini casserole dishes for the oven.
- Stock up on basics: because you can’t really predict what you will find on the shelves! I always have my eye out for linens, cake stands and accent plates. I usually grab anything Kate Spade I find as well- even if I don’t end up using it. It makes a great gift!
Scroll on down for more photos!
Thanks to HomeSense for sponsoring this post! As always, opinions are my own. To locate a store near you, click here.
Photography by Lisa Renault Photographie
Cakes, cookies and macarons by Sweet Savour by Felicia.
Cake toppers by Imagine Joy
Your decor is so cute! The macaroons and the cookies are so fun!
Love all the details! My fave is the ‘EH’ cake topper – amazing haha
Although I won’t be around this weekend, I love the idea of throwing a Canada Day brunch!
How do I order the coffee slips that say baby?
Hello! I ordered them from an Etsy shop called The Paper Shoppe 😉