We’ve made this a handful of times already this summer- this easy Orzo Salad is the perfect side dish for your next BBQ!
So excited to share this favourite easy Orzo Salad with you all today!
I shared it on my reels a few weeks back but it deserved a post all on its own! It’s so simple to make and delicious. Best of all, it tastes even better the next day making it the salad that keeps on giving. I find vinaigrette based salads tend to get watery by the next day but this one is just perfect.
And as for toppings? It’s totally customizable. I used zucchini because that’s what we tend to stock up on in the summer, but feel free to use any other grilled veggie. Red peppers and asparagus would be a great choice! While you could grill or roast your tomatoes, the freshness of these grape tomatoes is just perfect. Onions for a crunch and don’t forget your herbs! Once again, totally customizable. I used mint but basil would also be great.
We like this as a main with some steak or just on the side for a large bbq.
My tip to remember:
The most important thing would be to not overcook your orzo. People make the mistake of waiting for all the liquid to cook off but you don’t need to do that. Just drain the liquid when it’s cooked! You don’t want it to be too mushy, trust me on this! At the 8 minute mark, take a quick spoonful and you’ll see if it’s done.
There’s still a good 8 weeks left of summer and I intend on making this quite a few more times!
Read on for the recipe and happy bbq season!
Easy Orzo Salad
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium but regular also works
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomato halved
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup grilled vegetables chopped
- 3 tbsp mint
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook orzo in chicken broth on medium heat. Cook until tender, per directions or around 8 minutes.Drain your orzo, discarding extra broth. Let cool.
- In the meantime, whisk together your vinaigrette ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in your orzo, 1 cup tomatoes, 1 cup veggies and red onion. Add in 3/4 cup of your vinaigrette. *Reserve the rest for leftovers. Mix well and add in fresh herbs. Mix once again, garnishing with any remaining herbs.