An easy and last minute breakfast or snack on St.Paddy’s Day!
I’m definitley one to prefer cooking over baking any day of the week. Which is why most of my ‘sweets’ options on the blog are more like little fun cooking hacks. Super simple recipes that are semi homemade and will satisfy that sweet tooth we all have- without taking up too much time. Yes. Please.
These homemade poptarts check off all of the above requirements. Easy to make, minimal time, semi homemade and oh yeah, delicious. While they can be made year long, I opted to decorate them with a little St.Patrick’s Day twist.
They are the perfect sweet breakfast for you and your kiddos- or just you! Read on and bon appetite!
St. Patrick's Day Semi Homemade Poptarts
- 2 sheets rolled puff pastry dough
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk divided
- 1/2 cup jam any variety
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Lucky Charms cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. Roll out puff pastry dough into a 10 inch by 10 inch square. (I prefer to use rolled pastry doughs because it gives you a perfect even square to begin with!)
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough horizontally down the middle, creating 2 rectangles. Then cut dough vertically in four equal parts. (If you're using a 10x10 rectangle you'll make the cuts every 2 1/2 inches.) Top 4 of your rectangles with one tbsp of jam, leaving a small border of pastry around the jam. Repeat with other puff pastry sheet.
- Place the remaining pastry on top of the jam filled pastry. Gently secure edges with your fingers and using a fork, crimp edges.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp of milk and egg. Brush tops of pastry with egg wash and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While baking, prepare your icing. Whisk together sugar, remaining milk and vanilla until well incorporated. If icing is too thick, add a touch more milk.
- Remove poptarts from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Top with icing and sprinkle on cereal. Serve and Enjoy!
Leave a Reply