An easy weeknight meal, this chopped taco salad comes with a great homemade seasoning that you can definitely make ahead of time and store for future use!
We all have those meals that we make ALL THE TIME. Whether it’s comforting for us or just a breeze to make, there’s a few meals that are always in the rotation!
For us that’s got to be this easy homemade chopped taco salad. We love it because it’s made in under 30 minutes- but also because it’s so yummy! For a lighter meal we pair it with lettuce, but for a heartier dinner we make it into taco bowls (just swap out the lettuce for rice but keep everything else the same!!)
Best of all, parts of it can be made ahead of time.
These days since I’m all about the meal prep, I will easily whip up the meat in this dish on a Sunday while Ara’s home. Then throughout the week, we will pull it out whatever night we are stumped for dinner! Easy Peasy.
You can also make so many variations with this dish- Not a fan of ground turkey? Use ground beef or chicken. Not a fan of meat at all? Just marinate your shrimp in the taco seasoning. You’ll have to adjust for cook times for the different variations but that’s about it.
And here’s the question of the day.
‘Can I just use store bought taco seasoning?’
Definitely! Because Aren is starting to eat more of what we eat as well, I am really trying to limit the processed seasonings etc that we use. But to be honest? When it was just Ara and myself? We would use store bought all the time!
Read on for the recipe!
Chopped Taco Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning recipe to follow
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup corn cooked
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 black beans
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/3 cup tortilla crisps
- cilantro to garnish
- sour cream or guacomole to serve with
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic mincd
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the Homemade Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey and crumble with a wooden spoon, breaking up chunks until cooked through 7-9 minutes. Add seasoning along with 1/2 cup chicken broth and let simmer until most of liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Toss lettuce with vinaigrette. Place in a large bowl or plate. Top with ground turkey and remaining sides.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
For the Vinaigrette:
- whisk all ingredients well until incorporated
For the Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in an air tight container. Shake or mix well. Use as needed