What better way to get rid of that leftover candy than in delicious Halloween Chocolate Biscotti?! This is a fun way to use that leftover pile of chocolate!
It’s officially warm drink weather which means hot coffee, hot chocolate and a cup of tea are all this girl can think about it. And what pairs best when drinking one of these?! I’m going to go and say Biscotti.
Biscotti are Italian almond biscuits that are twice baked and perfectly crunchy. You form the dough into long oval rounds, bake in the oven, and then remove, cut and bake again. Simple! It requires a bit of oven time to get that perfect crunch but it’s worth it. They’re the perfect accompaniment to your coffee or espresso. As most things go however, they can be adapted into other kinds of dessert too!
I fell upon a peanut butter biscotti recipe a while back (no almonds anywhere!) and it got me thinking as to what else I could use. Seeing as how we have so much leftover candy, I thought why not a fun spin on Biscotti with leftover chocolate. In this case, say hello to my Halloween Chocolate Biscotti- oh yeah, it’s that good.
You can use any chocolate as well. Even just regular, but I love the crunch that Kit Kats give, making it my chocolate of choice!
Also it’s worth noting that even though Biscotti might seem difficult to make- it’s actually fairly straightforward and easy.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when making your Biscotti:
If you have a hard time creating logs with your hands, wet your hands slightly.
Use a serrated knife when cutting
and keep your slices as even as possible. This is my weakness- I rush to cut and end up with quite a few mismatched pieces 😉
Now, if you’re a traditionalist with your Biscotti, I have warned you- mine is not traditional! But it’s still delicious and I bet you can’t eat just one 😉
Read on for the recipe and Happy Halloween!
Halloween Chocolate Biscotti
- 1 stick and two tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup chopped Kit Kats or any other candy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with racks being placed evenly in the middle. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together eggs until light and yellow. This should take about 2 minutes. Add in your sugar and mix well. Add in melted butter, beat again. Finally add in your vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, in 2 to 3 increments. Don't overmix, mix until just incorporated. Add in kit Kat, or desired chocolate and mix together with your hands or a wooden spoon. I like to save a few pieces of kitkat to add to the biscotti right before cooking!
- Divide your dough evenly into two. Form your dough into a long log like shape, roughly 3/4 of an inch high. The more uniform the better. This will give you similar shaped cookies throughout. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place logs onto a cutting board and using a serrated knife, cut at an angle, into 1/2 inch cookies. Place cookies cut side up back on baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes, remove from oven, flip to other side and bake for additional 8. Remove from oven and cool.
- For an extra rich taste, once cooled, dip the ends into melted chocolate.
Looking for a simpler cookie to get your feet wet with?! Try these Jam Cookies here!