A quick and easy salad with seasonal asparagus
We like to keep it pretty simple meal wise here in the summer which is why you will find me sharing lots of sides.
Most dinners usually consist of grilled chicken or fish alongside some arugula and a little side salad. Ok you’ve got me- there’s usually a starchy carb somewhere as well but for the most part it’s salad season around here!
Asparagus is a tricky vegetable at our house- I LOVE it. Ara- not so much. But if I add something like a fresh tomato basil salad on top, chances are he will have some too.
This one is an easy one to make because the tomatoes actually taste better if they sit out ahead of time. And the asparagus? I roasted it but you can just as easily grill it. Asparagus is so easy to make you guys. It takes mere minutes!
I’ll probably end up cutting up the extra asparagus and tossing it into an omelette or a pasta salad- the best way to reuse leftovers!
Scroll on down for the super easy recipe. Also if you’re looking to dress it up even more I highly suggest using a good quality balsamic glaze as a last minute drizzle on top! I love both options so you’ll see both below. Happy eating!
Asparagus + Tomato Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomotoes halved
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine tomatoes, remaining salt + olive oil and basil in a medium mixing bowl. Let sit for at least ten minutes or up to an hour.
- Place trimmed asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through but still crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place asparagus on serving dish. Top with tomato mixture and serve! Optional, drizzle a balsmamic glaze on top!