One of our favourite winter meals has got to be this Creamy Lentil Soup that comes together in just under 30 minutes! It’s based on Aren’s favourite soup from a local restaurant and I think it comes out pretty close to the real deal!
A pot of soup has never tasted better than in the middle of January in Quebec. Brrr it’s cold outside! We’ve been having a cold spell as of late and I can’t think of anything else I’d rather eat than soup.
Enter this Creamy Lentil Soup that’s so yummy and can be made in 30 minutes. It features basic ingredients that you probably already have at home, a little seasoning and some broth.
Here’s what I put in my Creamy Lentil Soup:
- Red Lentils
- Chicken Broth
I love red lentils because they cook so quickly as opposed to some other beans that require more soaking.
And I love to use my immersion blender with this because it gives it that creamy feel without having to add any dairy! As for garnishes, I use whatever I have on hand, in this case some sunflower seeds, parsley and a dollop of Greek Yogurt. (Adding a little dairy as a garnish but you can omit it to keep it dairy free!) Want to make it vegan? Just opt for vegetable broth instead of chicken.
Like I said, the kids love it which is such a bonus when you have picky toddlers that sometimes aren’t a huge fan of vegetables!
Read on for the recipe and stay warm friends!
Creamy Lentil Soup
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots grated
- 1 cup celery diced
- 2 cups red lentils rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- parsley, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds to garnish
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium heat. Sauté onion for 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and let sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add in carrots and celery. Stir together and let cook together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in lentils. Stir to combine. Pour in broth and let simmer on low heat, covered, until lentils are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using immersion blender, blend everything together.You can also pour into a regular blender as well
- Pour into serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs, seeds or a bit of greek yoghurt.